Solved

Definition of "Extended" locations

• 14 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I am looking at Console Connect Locations and there is a category of location called ‘Extended’.

Is there a clear definition of extended?

icon

Best answer by Will 18 July 2023, 17:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Fil, thanks for joining us on the community, and thanks for your question.

Extended locations are data centres that aren’t directly on our owned global network - ie, we don’t have a physical point of presence. For these data centres we use key partners to extend the platform, for example by setting up cross-connects within a campus, using a carrier partner to extend the platform within a metro area, that kind of thing. Depending on the work needing to be done, this can extend the lead time a little to fulfil the order, up to ten business days.

It’s a counterpart to a destination being “on-net”, which means it’s located somewhere we have a PoP already. On-net DCs are quicker because of this, typically only up to two working days to fulfil an order.

Hopefully that’s what you need - if it is, if you could mark this as an answer that’d be amazing. If not, shout back and I’ll ask one of the network folks here to go into more detail.

Badge

Thanks Will. I thought as much, but could not find the definition. Brilliant mate.