Question

Difference between PoP and DC PoP

• 5 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Dears,

When I check Console Connect map I see they have 135 PoPs. However, somewhere else on the website it’s mentioned 900+ Data Center PoPs. How can I understand the difference between those numbers?

Thanks for any hint.

Saher

6 replies

Badge

Hi Saher

As per my knowledge from ChatGPT, below are the explaination:

In Simple: POP is Console Connect owned and DC PoP can be someone DC connected to Console Connect. Like us irix.my Data Center provider, we connect to console connect then we also can count as one of DC Pop. 

1. Console Connect POP (Point of Presence):

• Console Connect is a platform provided by PCCW Global that offers network and cloud connectivity services. A Point of Presence (POP) in this context typically refers to a location or data center where Console Connect's network infrastructure is available.
    • Console Connect POPs are strategically located in various cities and regions around the world to provide easy access to their network services. Customers can connect to these POPs to access a wide range of cloud and network resources.
  2. DC Pop (Data Center Point of Presence):

• A DC Pop, or Data Center Point of Presence, generally refers to a specific location within a data center where network or internet service providers (ISPs) have established a presence.
    • In the context of data centers, a POP is where ISPs or other network providers install their equipment to connect to the data center's infrastructure. This allows data center clients to have direct and reliable connectivity to the internet and various network services through the POP.

In summary, the main difference is in the context:

• Console Connect POP is associated with PCCW Global's network connectivity services and refers to their network infrastructure locations.

• DC Pop is a more general term used in the context of data centers and refers to a location within a data center where network providers establish connections.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks for the question @saher, and the answer @morgan.chai!

In addition to the more broad definitions above, I just want to help define what it means when it comes to Console Connect specifically. That figure of 900+ is made up of a few categories of PoP. The 135 you mention are Console Connect owned and operated - we have physical connectivity through to those PoPs on our owned infrastructure.

Where we don’t have that, we do a number of things depending on the situation and location. In many cases the PoP operator will handle the connectivity into our network, often in-campus. In others, we’ll rely on third-party networks to backhaul the traffic through. These are what make up the delta between the 135 and the 900+ locations.

Console Connect is designed to make it easier to navigate the difference between these two - after you sign up, if you head into the app you’ll be able to search for all the locations on the platform and see what kind of connectivity is offered where and by whom, and start an order directly there.

Badge

Thank you guys for your kind feedback. Much appreciated.

I have another question if I may. How do I understand the difference between the following two services “DC ports” and “L2 Connections”? I mean DC ports are also L2 connections between two different Datacenters, so where exactly is the difference?

Thanks for any hints!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That’s true, but you can also connect to DC ports in different ways that aren’t L2 - for example, as part of a layer 3 CloudRouter mesh network.

Badge

so you mean, that requesting a DC port means I am requesting to connect two ports which can be L2 or L3 but with L2 connectivity I am explicitly requesting a layer 2 connection then. You agree with the summary?

What are the forms of connecting DC ports beside L2 and L3?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@saher Do you mind going into a bit more detail about what specifically you’re intending to do? That way I can direct one of the folks with more specific experience and expertise to come and check in here. :)